New Video on Pain-Free Sitting Posture

/, Healthy Posture, Sitting, Sitting Posture, Videos/New Video on Pain-Free Sitting Posture

New Video on Pain-Free Sitting Posture

Check out this video which will show you how to sit pain-free. This should make some of my previous blog posts more clear. Try it out and let me know how it works for you!

© 2011 Dana K. Davis

By | 2017-01-30T16:49:27+00:00 March 18th, 2011|Back Pain, Healthy Posture, Sitting, Sitting Posture, Videos|11 Comments

About the Author:

11 Comments

1. Susan Jameasa March 19, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Very clear and informative review for us Graduates of the ‘Balance Your Body’ Foundation series. Great video! I will come back to review as needed. Thank you for putting this out here and we look forward to more videos. ;-) -sj

• admin March 21, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Thanks Susan! I’m glad you enjoyed it!

2. […] If you’re new to the Balance Method and want a quick lesson in pain-free sitting, you can watch my 5 minute video to get started right away (http://www.sonomabodybalance.com/blog/2011/03/new-video-on-pain-free-sitting-posture/). […]

3. Jude January 22, 2012 at 11:36 am

Super suggestion. I could feel tension leaving as I changed my “erect posture”. I had been working hard on trying to keep upright due to shoulder pain from hours at the computer. This is so logical and yet so simple. Now, I just need to do it regularly! Thanks for the healthful advice.

• admin January 23, 2012 at 11:09 am

Hi Jude,

That’s great! Keep practicing and it will become natural. This posture is natural for all humans up until age 3, so we just need to return to it.

Take care,
      Dana

4. -Good Posture is Bad for Your Back April 3, 2012 at 3:07 pm

[…] 2009 on “10 Steps to Pain-Free Sitting,” or watch this video to get you started (http://www.sonomabodybalance.com/blog/2011/03/new-video-on-pain-free-sitting-posture/). The main key is to sit on your sitz bones and relax your belly and back. You can also do some […]

5. […] Davis recommends a healthy, naturally aligned posture to help reduce long-term fatigue and stress. For help finding the most energizing posture, watch Davis’s quick tutorial on sitting posture. […]

6. Jojo September 21, 2012 at 12:51 am

This helps me a lot! Thanks! I’d seen your website months ago, and started implementing this in the car during my commute and it helped. Then I lost your site, and I forgot the techniques. I’m so glad I found it again after doing several searches. This works for me, and it is easy to see how much less pain I have using this method compared to the tuck-your-pelvis-pretend-balloons-are-attached-to-your-collarbones method. You’re right–that uses a lot of energy and is not sustainable. Within 5 minutes, I slouch, and the cycle repeats.

• admin October 9, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Hi Jojo,

I’m so glad it’s helping you to be more comfortable driving! You can clearly see how the typical instructions for “good posture” are exhausting, and they don’t work. Keep up your practice, and you can always subscribe to my “Balanced Body E-zine” to get a monthly e-mail newsletter from me if you want to keep in touch. You can sign up on my home page: http://www.sonomabodybalance.com.

Good luck!
      Dana

7. George Smith February 22, 2015 at 3:12 am

Hi Dana,

Thank you for sharing the video clip!

I have a question about the ‘leaning back against the chair and let yourself rest against the back of the chair’.

A lot of other articles suggest that we should sit on our sitting bones and not to use the back support of a chair to lean back on. May I ask why you recommend to lean back against the chair?

When I try doing push myself into the back of the chair as you do in the video, I am able to sit on my sitting bones. The moment I lean back against the chair and let myself rest against it, I find that I am no longer on or forward on my sitting bones but I am on the back part, which I thought is not good for posture.

Could you clarify this?

Many thanks!

George

• Dana D February 23, 2015 at 7:45 pm

Hi George,
      When you lean back and use the back of the chair for support, you should still be on your sitz bones if you started the way I show in the video. Even though your pelvis will rock back slightly, you will still be on the back part of the sitz bones. So it’s not an either-or situation. When I work on the computer, I don’t lean back, but when relaxing or reading, I generally do. Also, it does depend on what type of chair you have. You might try one like the one I use in the video and see if it’s easier to stay on your sitz bones. I hope this clarifies it for you.
      Dana